Some Android devices, like Samsung phones, have this setting hidden in the Phone app. Here’s how to find it:
- Open the Phone app, tap the triple-dot icon at the top right, and tap Settings.
- You’ll see an option for Wi-Fi Calling. Tap it and toggle it on.
- When it is available, you will see Wi-Fi Calling next to your carrier’s name in the expanded notification shade on your phone.
Can’t find the option on your Android phone? You need a SIM card in your device for the option to even show up (once you pop one in, you might need to restart your phone). If you already have a SIM, open Settings and type “Wi-Fi calling” in the search bar at the top.
What You Need to Know About Wi-Fi Calling
Wi-Fi calls are typically included in your existing voice calls plan and count as regular calls. If you have limited minutes, Wi-Fi calls will likely count as a part of your allowance. They should not incur additional charges, but we recommend you double-check as carriers don’t always treat them the same. If your provider does charge for Wi-Fi calling, then it’s time to find a better carrier.
One thing to note is that any long-distance or international charges you incur for voice calls are likely to apply to Wi-Fi calls as well. And Wi-Fi calling is not supported in every country. As an alternative, try using the call (voice or video) function in internet-protocol messaging apps, such as WhatsApp, Google Duo, Telegram, Signal, WeChat, and FaceTime. You won’t incur charges.
Carriers dictate precisely when your phone should switch to Wi-Fi calling, but this isn’t very consistent. If you find that your signal is just strong enough that Wi-Fi calling doesn’t kick in but it’s not good enough for clear calls, you can force it by turning Airplane Mode on and then toggling Wi-Fi back on. Just remember to turn Airplane Mode off again after the call.
Special offer for Gear readers: Get a 1-year subscription to WIRED for $5 ($25 off). This includes unlimited access to WIRED.com and our print magazine (if you’d like). Subscriptions help fund the work we do every day.
More Great WIRED Stories
- 📩 The latest on tech, science, and more: Get our newsletters!
- The 10,000 faces that launched an NFT revolution
- A cosmic ray event pinpoints the Viking landing in Canada
- How to delete your Facebook account forever
- A look inside Apple’s silicon playbook
- Want a better PC? Try building your own
- 👁️ Explore AI like never before with our new database
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for the best fitness trackers, running gear (including shoes and socks), and best headphones
- Aiteo Oil Leak: Group accuses FG of neglecting Niger Delta region - December 4, 2021
- Hopes of healing PDP-Laban fade - December 4, 2021
- NASA is spending big on commercial space destinations - December 4, 2021